Thursday 4 September 2008

Optics books

I've been think about what are the best books on Optics for degree level and above and attempted to come up with a top five. Here's my list

  1. Hecht - Optics. My copy is now falling to bits from over use. This is the first book I will refer to myself and I normally recommend it to other people when they want to learn about the basic physics of optics. The books scores highly for its readability and Hecht ability to explain concepts. I can be a bit light in places but makes a good starting point.
  2. Goodman - Introduction to Fourier Optics. This is really the bible of Fourier optics. Goodman has produced an excellent book that covers the theory and applications of Fourier optics.
  3. Saleh & Teich - Fundamentals of Photonics, an excellent overview of the whole field of photoncs
  4. Born & Wolf - Principles of Optics, the most rigorous of books. Its not the easiest of reads.
  5. Smith - Mordern Optical Engineering

No comments: